How to Make Burlap Drapes For Under $15

Here I give a step by step guide on how to make your own burlap drapes. 

Typically, the curtains or drapes will start and end approximately 6 inches to the left and right of the window, but you can adjust that to your own taste and requirements.

Next, take careful measurements of the height and the width of the window. In my project, the window is 38 inches tall and 35 1/2 inches wide. 

But the space where I want my drapes to cover is much larger. The key here is to visualize the rectangular space that your drapes will be on the wall. That space is the important part to measure.

I want my drapes to be about 8 inches above the window, so I'm going to measure from that point to the floor. Since my window is 35 1/2 inches wide, I'm going to add 6 inches to each side, making the space about 48 inches wide. The height measurement starts at 8 inches above the window and go to the floor. That number in my project comes out to 97 inches. So the space that I want my drapes to cover is 48 inches wide and 97 inches tall.

Now we need to figure out how much burlap we need to buy. I plan to make 2 panels for each window.  My local Jo-Ann's always has coupons and a good selection of burlap. The one I picked comes 47 inches wide, which is perfect.

To figure out the length of each panel, I started with the 97 inch height and added 2 1/2 inches for the bottom seam, 1 inch on the top to finish the edge with a seam and another 3 inches on the top for the pocket that the rod will slide through. The total rounds up to 105 inches.


Now I knew the total length of each panel and that I had 2 panels per window and 2 windows to do. So the math was pretty easy. I just multiplied 105 inches time 4 to get 420 inches. I added 10 percent for some extra to wind up with 462 inches. I divided that by 36 inches (1 yard) and got to 12.8 yards or rounded up to 13 yards. Whatever extra I wind up with will go to other craft projects.

To assemble the drapes I first folded over 1 inch of burlap for the side seams and sewed that in place. On the top, I did another 1 inch seam.  On the bottom, I just folded the burlap over 2 1/2 inches and sewed that near the edge. Lastly, I made the pocket for the rod by folding the top over 3 inches and sewing that close to edge.



FINI...now just slide your new drapes on to the rods! With the sales and coupons the burlap was only about 2 dollars per yard or 26 bucks. I also bought 2 spools of matching thread for another 2 bucks. 
Total for full length drapes for 2 windows
 was 28 dollars...not bad.

 I bought the drapery rods from the Christmas Tree Shop.
I also got the matching curtain holdbacks.

As you can see I'm making my way around the room with updates.
 I still need to finish transforming the desk. I have some great ideas for it.

This picture was taking late afternoon. 
Thanks for stopping by!

A big "SHOUT OUT" to my sweet and loving ❤ 
 husband who gave up his office for me.

❤  Kiss-Kiss  
xo,
Dee

I'm Joining:
Debbie-Debbiedoos 
Savvy Southern Style 
Adorned From Above 
Stone Gable 
Beyond The Picket Fence 
The Well Crafted Home 
House of Hepworths 

Not Done Growing
VMG206
BeBetsy

39 comments:

Gypsy Heart said...

Great tutorial and I love the look! I just noticed the chair...it is just beautiful! Did you upholster it or was it already done? Looks great!

xo
Pat
P.S. Stop by ~ have a Halloween giveaway going on!

Laura @ duke manor farm said...

what a good man. Let's hope he likes the burlap drapes!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Dee, those are gorgeous! I have never made any curtains, but with your directions, I feel like I could give it a shot. Your husband must be wonderful to give up his office for you! Again, lovely drapes.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

The burlap drapes look wonderful!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

great step by step! nice result

Kristie said...

Hi Dee,

The instruction seem pretty straightforward. I just wonder if I'm capable of trying this on my own. HAH I am self taught sewer and have trouble figuring out measurements accurately. You did a fantastic job on your drapes...I just wonder if mine would look that good.

My drapes would probably turn out like the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy tries to prove to Ricky she can sew her own clothes to save money. When she walks out to show him what the outfit looks like on her he breaks out in a laugh (even I was laughing) It is by far the most ill-fitting dress I've ever seen! Only Lucy could do something this funny. HAH

Jeannie Marie said...

What a wonderful change, and perfect for fall!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Yea, you get the thrifty queen award!! They are perfect! I crown your hubby king for giving up his room!

Carol

Connie said...

What a sweet husband . . . sounds like he deserves a big hug. Your drapes are wonderful. I purchased some burlap at Walmart the other day and it was 3.50. I was a little bit shocked . . . it wasn't that long ago when it was 1.00. I think that when they see something getting popular in the craft and sewing world, that is their clue to raise the price, LOL.
Your new room is getting prettier with every post, Great Job!
Have a wonderful weekend,
Connie :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Nice job on the drapes and nice tutorial, Dee. How did you find the burlap went through your sewing machine? Gotta love those Joann's coupons for fabric. They also take competitor's coupons, which has saved me some money a few times when I didn't have a Joann's coupon.

poppilinnstudios said...

Hi Dee!
Love the natural look of burlap. Your office looks great. Have a fun weekend. I hope you get to go apple picking! :)
-Lynn

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Those burlap drapes turned out so cute. They look great in your office. What a bargain. Apple picking would be fun.....maybe s9ome apple pies in the future. Your hubby deserves big hugs for letting go of his room. You deserve it!

ANNE said...

Thanks for the tips Dee!

Linda said...

Thanks for the tips and the tutorial.
Love them!!

Anonymous said...

Dee, your tips and tutorial really helped me to understand how to make these! Thanks! Your drapes look wonderful! I'm so proud of you making these! I think your home office looks amazing! What a sweet husband too!

Debbiedoos said...

Absolutely fantastic Dee. You know I love me some burlap. Now if only I could sew I would be in trouble!

Lori said...

Thanks for stopping by. My daughter and I made burlap drapes for her home. Messy project. But they turned out great. Yours are perfect for that room.

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Dee, that room is FAB! And I love the burlap drapes! Great color, great texture. You did such a nice job. Glad your hubby gave up the room--it looks amazing!

Have a great day.
Pam

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Dee,

You are a very smart and handy housewife! Common sense with great taste and keeping a tab on the budget. A girl after my heart.
Hugs to you,
Mariette

Daniella said...

your projects are always amazing!!! the new office you are making will be awesome! What a sweet hubby you have to give up his office for you!!! awwww!!<3
xxDaniella

Little Miss Maggie said...

These are perfect, Dee. I love them for a home office. Even though they are burlap, they have a certain richness about them. Great tutorial.

bj said...

These are just amazing. What a great job and how cute they look in your room. :)

Cynthia said...

What a great job you did. I love the rod and the cloches. Great tutorial.

Cynthia

nádya said...

Well done for the husband and you did a great job with these curtains, Dee!!! I do like them that lovely colour and the texture as well...
Blessigns,
Nadya

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh WOW, Dee, these are totally adorable--and big shout out to your husband--he's my hero!!!
XO
Cindy

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Just a suggestion... Don't. Get rid of a guy who would give up his office and that great desk for his wife :) love the curtains. They're the perfect touch.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I'm warming up to burlap and your drapes look wonderful!! Hugs,
FABBY

Micupoftea said...

Nice tutorial, LOVE the burlap drapes...awesome color, great texture. Your scones look wonderful also! It is coming together nicely :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Dee! The curtains are beautiful and your tutorial very clear. I love the light in your photo as well. I will be following you. Please check out my tutorial for a valance at http://frenchhensnest.blogspot.com

Don't you love to sew for your home! Saving lots of $ for thrift store shopping!

Adorned From Above said...

I love these. What a great idea and so simple. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/almond-sugar-body-scrub-and-wednesdays.html
I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

Casandra said...

This is just the type of guidance I needed this week! I'm working on burlap print curtains for my dining and living room windows right now. You've really helped with the math angle--thanks so much for sharing and inspiring! I plan to post about it this weekend and I will give credit to you for your tips! I am following you now!

Miss Val's Creations said...

The burlap looks beautiful as curtains. I never would have thought that! What a wonderful husband giving up his office for you. It looks like a perfect, calming place for being creative.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Pretty drapes!

D said...

Love this! Thank you for sharing it.

Unknown said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

drapes danvers

Unknown said...

Dee, those burlap drapes are so beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial, I will certainly make and put them in my living room windows! Have a great day and looking forward for more new great ideas and tutorials.
recliners for sale

Stampin' VMG206 said...

Beautiful! I love burlap ~ so fun!
I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat). I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog, link up and leave a comment, too!
~ Megin of VMG206
Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

Anonymous said...

Wow, great idea and tutorial. Thanks for sharing on our Brag About It Party! Hope to see you next week. Thanks ~ Sharon and Denise
BeBetsy

Audrey said...

Love the look of burlap. Thanks for the tips and instruction. Thinking of burlap for my breakfast room window.
Thanks for stopping by Timeless Treasures with a nice comment.
Blessings,
Audrey Z.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...