Lavender Eggs - Tutorial

Lavender is one of the most fragrant flowers and my favorite in my garden. I love rubbing my hands on the fresh flowers and leaves. Even after lavender has been cut, the fragrance lasts a long time. Just crush the dried flowers after the scent has faded and the aromatic oils will be released. What I love about lavender is its fresh clean aroma. Scenting the air with lavender will make you feel relaxed with a sense of calm and well being. Lavender is also known for helping treat headaches. If you're having trouble sleeping, lavender is great for getting a good night's rest. You can add a few drops of lavender oil to your pillow or make pillow sachets. Lavender appeals to both men and woman. I love adding lavender oil to my bath water right before bed.
For this project I used styrofoam eggs. You can also use real, plastic, wood or papier-mâché eggs. I liked the size of the styrofoam eggs. If you use the plastic eggs,  I recommend gluing the eggs closed and giving them a light coat of primer paint. 
Let's get started decorating our lavender eggs. You can buy lavender already scented with lavender oil or you can make your own dried lavender. Grosso Lavandin is the most common lavender grown in the lavender fields of France. Provence Lavandin  is one of the most fragrant lavenders. Chose lavender that has just bloomed as it will be the most colorful and fragrant. Cut the lavender stems and hang them to dry in a dark place for a few weeks. It's best to tie the stems with rubber bands as the stems tend to shrink as they dry. A few weeks later your lavender will be ready for this project. Brush off the flowers and save in a glass jar. This will help retain their scent. You can always add lavender oil to it. 
First roll the egg in Elmer's glue on wax paper.
 Now roll the egg into your aromatic lavender flowers. 
  Use an old paintbrush to finish off adding the glue and lavender. 
It does not take long to cover the eggs with glue and lavender. You will notice the aromatic oils from the lavender and the room will soon be filled with the scent.
While the lavender eggs are drying, crush your lavender egg lightly in your hands. This will give them a more unified look and will ensure your lavender is glued to your styrofoam eggs.
I placed my beautiful lavender eggs in a silver bread basket. I added dried red and pink roses and a few dried lavender stems. I also added reed diffusers that I tied with raffia and gold cording to give them an elegant appearance. 
Happy Crafting!
XO,
Dee

26 comments:

Dawn said...

Brilliant idea, I bet they smell heavenly :)

NanaDiana said...

Those are really cute, Dee. Love how they turned out and I can almost smell that lavender from here- Diana

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Perfect for Spring, Dee! I'm sure they smell wonderful!

chateau chic said...

I love lavender and this is such a great idea, Dee!
Mary Alice

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Fantastic! Lavender is my favorite herb and I'm always looking for ways to use it.

Anonymous said...

I love Lavender and grow and dry it every year, this is an amazing idea! I hope you are well and happy!

Ron said...

I bet they smell delicious. I love to use lavender in the guest bath. xo

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a fabulous idea! I bet you have the best smelling Easter eggs... an they look so pretty!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I LOVE the smell of lavender...what a fabulous idea Dee!! They look so pretty in that silver bowl.

Shug said...

This is such a fabulous idea.....and it is so sweet!!!!
I definitely will be trying this..
Thanks for sharing...
Shug

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Dee,
What a lovely idea for rolling those eggs in lavender! Too bad we cannot grow any in our garden; the climate is too hot in summer and all our plants have died.
But you enjoy your gorgeous creations and their scent.
Hugs,
Mariette

The Old Parsonage said...

I love lavender - I have a bath soak that is lavender and vanilla - yum!

The eggs are a fab idea - perfect to tuck into an Easter basket and give as gifts!!!

Enjoy your week!
LEann

Linda said...

Cute! I bet they smell devine!!!

Lorraine said...

I love lavender too, your eggs are adorable!
Have a great week! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Now you have cinched it for me....I have to plant lavender this year in the garden...Those are adorable and I know they probably smell better then "Adorable"....LOL

Anonymous said...

Dee, you always amaze me with your creative ideas! Your lavender eggs are so pretty! The reed and roses are a great idea to add to this vignette! I can almost smell it from here!

poppilinnstudios said...

What a creative idea, Dee. Very pretty, they must smell wonderful.
-Lynn

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Dee...I love it, not only do they look great, but I think I smell them from here!

CArol

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I have been trying to grow lavender for a couple of years...with no success...yet. I will try again this year. I love the smell pf lavender

Anonymous said...

The scent of lavender is wonderful and love how you displayed them in a silver bowl with red and green accents. Glad you shared these on your #simplybebetsy gallery!

Sharon and Denise

Paula@SweetPea said...

These must smell so good! I would be tempted to keep these out year-round.

Paula@SweetPea said...

These must smell so good! I would be tempted to keep these out year-round.

Debbiedoos said...

How clever of you Dee...it must smell so good in your house.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Dee, I can imagine how wonderful these smell. Very cute!
Hugs,
Sherry

1CardCreator said...

These are gorgeous Dee, I could almost smell the beautiful lavender as I read through your post, lol. Made for a beautiful project. ~Diane

Kelly said...

I love lavender! That's a great way to use it at Easter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...